Re: [Gimp-user] Text Characters

Paula,

Using Gimp 2.8.20 that exact set of steps from Owen will give you what you ask for (I just did it). I've expanded the steps explanations a bit for you. Do this on a new empty file:

1.  From the menu bar select File > New, OK
2. Use color palette and select the two colors you want to use for
   foreground (text) and background (I used white background and black
   foreground)
3.  From the menu bar select Edit > Fill with BG color
4.  From the menu bar select Tools > Text
5. Click and drag with cursor to create text box, place cursor in font
   size field (between Font name and "px" dropdown in Text properties
   overlay) and type 172; click in text box and type "Test":  you
   should now have a large "Test" using the foreground color you
   selected in Step. 2; you'll have a new Layer in the Layer palette
   with the word "Test" as its name.
6.  From menu bar select Layer->Text to Path
7. CHANGE the foreground color to a different color (e.g., red)
8.  From the menu bar select Edit->Stroke path; Option Stroke Line will
   outline each character of the Step 7 color, Line width is the width
   of the "outline around each character" you mention; note options
   under Line Style, especially Cap style: and Join style:
9. You should now see your original background color (white), the text
   in your original foreground color (black), and the text outlined
   with the second foreground color you chose (red).
10. One change here from the Owen's steps: From the menu bar select
   Edit->Select by Path; you'll see a selection appear that covers the
   original text and a bit of the second text; this overlap will
   *reduce* the size of the outline, so plan your font size (in Step 5
   and Line width in Step 8 accordingly)
11.  From the menu bar select Edit > Cut (or Ctrl + x) to delete the
   selected path (which is the text entered from Step 6); you should
   see the background color now show through with the second foreground
   color all that remains of the text.
12. To see that the transparency is real, select the original Background
   layer; from the color palette select a new background color; from
   the Edit menu select Fill with BG color and the first background
   color will be replaced with the new one (I did not do this in the
   example below)

Selecting anti-aliased text may cause artifacts to exist with curved shapes if you use Select by Color in Step 10--you'll see this with the e and s of Test (try it out). Also, experiment with Edit Stroke Path's Brushes options! You can get some funky/fun results.

Following these steps you can get this:

Hope this helps and thanks to Owen for the basic outline. This is a great way to do this.

Regards.