Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2017 9:51 PM
To: ofnuts gmx com
Cc: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Text Characters

Hello, Everyone!

I am looking for the way to take text that I have created that has a solid
color, make an outline around the edges of each character, and make the
center of each character transparent so it the attributes of the layer
below it will show through the transparent area.  I tried to work with the
instructions I was given to do this (see below) but either I cannot
understand what I am to do, or the instructions are not complete.  To all
who have helped me, I thank you and I need a bit more to understand how
this is to be done.

Have a great weekend!

Paula

Subject: [Gimp-user] Text Characters

Hello, All!  I have been looking for a way to produce text that has an
outline that has a color but a transparent interior.  I have searched the
Help to the best of my ability before asking.  I suspect that it takes the
use of a Tool, like a Brush or Bucket to subtract the fill.  My thanks in
advance for your help.

1. Enter your text
2. Layer->Text to Path
3. Edit->Stroke path (you need to set up color etc)
4. Edit->Select by Color
5. Ctrl + x to delete the colour (of your text)

Owen
Rick Strong rnstrong primus ca via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en> gnome.org
Feb 22 (8 days ago)
to Owen, gimp-user
A slight correction to this great instruction:
4. Select -> by Color

Rick S.

-----Original Message----- From: Owen Cook
Much better IMHO to avoid the post-stroke deletion by stroking the text
outline on a new layer...

In addition select-by-color does a "binary" selection so the pixels on the
edge are either completely removed
(jagged line) or left (faint colored rim).

[...]

*"It's so nice to know so many nice people."*

*---Eddie Gallaher (1914-2003)     Radio Personality, Washington, DC
1947-2000*