[Gimp-user] GIMP changing colors in image.

Hi there.
I am probably way in over my head even posting in here.
But maybe i get props for trying to learn.
I am using GIMP to do some super basic prep for images of my art for online
sales.
Some images end up being drastically different colors from the original painting
and photo file once uploaded into GIMP and then will also save that way when I
export tifs as jpgs for web use.
I know it's unlikely. But is there a trick or setting to disable that?
Is there some basic thing I am missing?
Can anyone explain to me what is happening or help me trouble shoot?
Thanks so much!
I would love to preserve the original color as much as possible.

--
NewGirl (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)