Re: [Gimp-user] color profiles and gimp-image-convert-color-profile

On 01/21/2017 07:34 PM, Partha Bagchi wrote:
On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:28 AM, Carol Spears wrote:
I read something recently about a color profile from 1966.  It made me
chuckle and think about early US-tv and dramatic books of black and
white photography.

I think the "color profile from 1966" is actually a reference to sRGB, which was created in 1996 and "standardized by the IEC as IEC 61966-2-1:1999" to quote Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB).

As far as I know, there weren't any color profiles as we know them today before the ICC was established, which wasn't until 1993 (http://www.color.org/abouticc.xalter).

Then, gimp-9 or 10 was released and I am going to have to reacquaint
myself with some words or learn about them for the first time before I
am going to be able to convert rgb to grayscale via any script
available.
Any body got a link or a book recommendation or a paper to read?

"Real World Color Management" by the late Bruce Fraser et al. is quite
good.

Alex

Real Wold Color Management is a great book and everyone should read it.

I would also recommend Elle Stone's website http://ninedegreesbelow.com/
which has a wealth of information about color management and more
specifically as it relates to GIMP.

The first section on this page has links to introductory tutorials in a suggested "order of reading": http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/articles.html#icc-profile-color-management-tutorials

As Partha notes, there are also some articles specifically about GIMP color management in the section on high bit depth GIMP.

But neither my articles nor Real World Color Management will have any suggestions for a script for converting from RGB to Grayscale.

Best,
Elle
--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Color management and free/libre photography