Re: [Gimp-user] color management -- basic question

On 01/08/2017 09:13 PM, Casey Connor wrote:
Thanks again, Partha! As a recent convert to LCH, Elle's version looks
pretty amazing. I'm a little nervous to mess with my gimp install, as a
non-sysadmin expert, but if Elle has the time to respond maybe she can
let me know if there'd be value in trying her version. (I get the
impression from her page on the subject that 2.9.5 has all the same
color management stuff in it that her version does.)

It's not at all crucial to my workflow that the rendering intent be
obeyed, I was just curious what was going on, because I thought I
understood it and the results seemed to imply that I didn't. I wasn't
sure if this was a flaw in my thinking or gimp.

Hi Casey,

I sent an answer to your previous email regarding rendering intents to the gimp user's list (and to also directly to you and Partha). But it might not reach the list for awhile because I hadn't yet resubscribed to the GIMP users mailing list when I sent the email. So the post is in moderation "awaiting approval".

Anyway, if you only ever edit sRGB images, then default GIMP 2.9 will work just fine for your editing needs. The only exception would be if you want complete control over the TRC encoding for specific operations. For example, default GIMP doesn't yet provide for linearized RGB for Curves and Levels. Whereas in CCE, if you want to make a Curves or Levels adjustment using linear RGB, you can convert the image to a linear gamma ICC profile.

But if you edit in RGB working spaces other than sRGB, it's better to use CCE (http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/patched-gimp-compared-to-default-gimp.html) because of the hard-coded sRGB parameters in default GIMP 2.9.

Just keep in mind that CCE has a fair number of quirks and gotchas, for example in CCE the LCH operations, Luminance conversions to black and white, proper linear gamma down-scaling, and so forth only work as expected when the image is in a linear gamma RGB working space. Also CCE doesn't provide any decompose/compose operations, default GIMP supports importing many more file types than CCE, exchanging XCF files between default GIMP and CCE is tricky, and so forth.

I absolutely agree with you that LCH is amazing, and now that it's available, I can't imagine ever trying to edit without LCH. Default GIMP and CCE both provide the LCH blend modes. In addition CCE provides LCH color pickers and an LCH Hue-Chroma tool. So if even if you only ever edit sRGB images, you might find CCE worth using until these capabilities are added to default GIMP 2.9.

To avoid issues with installing two versions of GIMP on the same computer (which requires using prefixes and compiling from source), you can use a CCE AppImage, which are made by the author of the PhotoFlow raw processor and are available for download from here: https://pixls.us/files/

Best,
Elle