[Gimp-user] color management -- basic question

Hi -- basic color management question here; this is gimp 2.9.5 (commit 00faf17965) on Linux.

If I open a colorful image and assign a ProPhoto profile to it, the colors get blown out, as expected.

If I set the monitor profile to various color profiles, the colors shift around, as expected.

If I set the monitor profile to sRGB, and then try all the various rendering intents, the colors never change, which surprises/confuses me.

My expectation was that since gimp is interpreting the colors of the image as being in the ProPhoto space, and I've told it that the monitor is in sRGB, changing the rendering intent should change the displayed colors as it shifts them to be in-gamut for sRGB.

I understand (from the tooltip) that I shouldn't expect preceptual vs. relative colorimetric to exhibit a difference, but shouldn't I see a change with both saturation and absolute colorimetric?

Thanks for any help!

-c