[Gimp-user] Weird forum and layout

Good point -whether a user thinks Krita or GIMP is "more like
PhotoShop"
might depend on which version of Photoshop they've used. I'm only
familiar with one version of PhotoShop, and that's CS2 on Windows.
Maybe
PhotoShop on Mac has a substantially different UI, and maybe CC looks
substantially different than CS2.
Another good point. On Photoshop I only ever edited photographs,
mostly
starting from a raw file, and never tried to paint using PhotoShop.
Maybe Krita's paint tools resemble PhotoShop's paint tools.

Elle

Shortly after I posted last week, I had a medical crisis and ended up in
hospital, so that's the reason I haven't responded to any of these posts over
the last week. As I said, I'm not looking to be unduely critical OF gimp, just
looking for some answers. And no, I'm not saying that I think GIMP should be
more like P'shop. No, I merely expected a similarity of tools that worked in
more or less the same ways. That, I don't think, is unreasonable. Its like as if
you went to the hardware store to buy a hammer but all they had were hammers
with curved handles and thus you had to relearn hammering nails anew. Not
something one would want to be forced to do. The lack of a general purpose
cursor, to my way of thinking, is just that basic and it really threw me for a
loop.

WHY do new users expect expect similarity with P'shop? My guess is that more
users than not are casual users who use it far less than professionals. Indeed,
that is the major attraction of free software; we don't want to pay $600 + for
something used only infrequently and thus we are frustrated to find such a steep
learning curve since money doesn't constitute the only form of investment -
there's the matter of invested time.

I was hoping that there was some sort of basic design philosophy that I was
missing that would, upon learning of it, would ease the transition. Apparently
not. GIMP is merely different not by any conceptual means. I don't see any
reasons for the differences but the reality is that I just have to be patience
and take the time to relearn.

--
Boxman (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)