[Gimp-user] speeding up gimp

I've been googling for info on making GIMP faster, and I think I have most of the bases covered (caches, SSD, RAM, etc.), but using large brushes on large images is still very slow.

I have an i7 4770K and am using Intel on-board graphics. Would getting a graphics card of some kind be likely to improve things? I can't seem to find clear info -- it sounds like the latest GIMPs support GPU acceleration, but I'm not clear on whether I'd see a difference with my hardware?

I'm using 2.9.5 (on Kubuntu).

Thanks for any tips.

-c