[Gimp-user] Ending a selection

I was advised that there is no general purpose cursor to make
selections in GIMP - that the selection is made with the tool used. If
that's the case, when a selection is created by a tool (example text
tool) how do you get rid of the selection mode outlines? And say for
example I add text, but then want to move it when there is no cursor
to move it with? I can't figure out how to deselect things - there's
nothing in help about this.

The lack of a general select tool as in P'shop is really throwing me
for a loop. I seem to be missing the general concept of this that is
very basic to successful use of this program.

Do not like the mailing list format? There are other active forums where you can
get assistance.

try

http://gimpchat.com

http://bakon.ca/gimplearn

www.gimp-forum.net

For examples of the gimp selection tools and usage try

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-selection-tools-for-beginners?pid=296#pid296

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)