Re: [Gimp-user] Ending a selection

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Boxman <forums gimpusers com> wrote:
I was advised that there is no general purpose cursor to make selections in GIMP
- that the selection is made with the tool used.

That seems to be an odd point of view to take to me.

If that's the case, when a
selection is created by a tool (example text tool) how do you get rid of the
selection mode outlines?

Aside from the difference between layer and path and selection,
selection can be canceled in the Edit menu. But you knew that, I
suppose.

And say for example I add text, but then want to move
it when there is no cursor to move it with?

I wouldn't call the temporary/floating text layer a selection.

As Michael says, though, the move tool can help you there. It moves
floating layers too, if you do it right.

I can't figure out how to deselect
things - there's nothing in help about this.

Combining floating layers with lower layers is maybe what you want to do?

The lack of a general select tool as in P'shop is really throwing me for a loop.
I seem to be missing the general concept of this that is very basic to
successful use of this program.

Photoshop also has paths and layers. I'm not sure about Photoshop Elements.

Am I being obtuse?

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist: