[Gimp-user] Feature oriented vs. User Oriented development

I've got an impression, that devs (or Gimp core devs / management - but not
only Gimp ones) has priorities to introduce cool new features, which is not
wrong, but they forget the basics - improve user working quality / make it
easier for user.

The Gimp has potential to be great software, and certainly it's best
opensource bitmap editor at the time, but it's missing the simplicity of
commercial products (you know which one I mean). OK, I can do more or less
with Gimp as with Photoshop, but  it's bloody way (tons of workarounds,
...).

The BEST example is Blender, Blender Foundation and its projects. In short:

* Blender foundation make decision to create movie
* They crowdfund it and invite (hire?) artists and developers
* As artists works they have spcific needs and devs solve them
* Finally:
..... The movie is proof what the software is capable of
..... The devs and artists gain experience
..... The community is happy - they have improved software - new features,
improved UX, ...

It would be nice, if Gimp community make similar thing. It doesn't need to
be project, but a collection of userstories / scenarios.

Sidenote:

There are also tons of  extensions and plugins, but the web (
http://registry.gimp.org/) is half-working and many of those extensions are
not working. I've seen great concept for Extension manager:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wmx3OgdATU0/Sziww2F0t5I/AAAAAAAABPE/nxquiNEM6l4/s1600-h/addonsInstaller.png

btw. are there somewhere sources of Gimp registry site, or ERD of it's
database? It would be nice to create REST API - then anybody could create
client for those extensions, or even it's own rpository.

Thank for your thoughts,

Michal