Re: [Gimp-user] Feature oriented vs. User Oriented development

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Michal Vašut wrote:
I've got an impression, that devs (or Gimp core devs / management - but not
only Gimp ones) has priorities to introduce cool new features, which is not
wrong, but they forget the basics - improve user working quality / make it
easier for user.

I'll be blunt. People who don't study what we do and who come to teach
us how to do things never achieve a thing. People who get involved,
however, do achieve some great things and make GIMP and its ecosystem
better.

Are you from the former or from the latter group?

* Blender foundation make decision to create movie
* They crowdfund it and invite (hire?) artists and developers
* As artists works they have spcific needs and devs solve them

We kinda sorta know about BF and what they do.

* Finally:
..... The movie is proof what the software is capable of
..... The devs and artists gain experience
..... The community is happy - they have improved software - new features,
improved UX, ...

It would be nice, if Gimp community make similar thing. It doesn't need to
be project, but a collection of userstories / scenarios.

https://www.patreon.com/zemarmot

http://gui.gimp.org/index.php?title=GIMP_UI_Redesign

There are also tons of  extensions and plugins, but the web (
http://registry.gimp.org/) is half-working

Not working at all. It's a static website with no maintainer

and many of those extensions are
not working. I've seen great concept for Extension manager:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wmx3OgdATU0/Sziww2F0t5I/AAAAAAAABPE/nxquiNEM6l4/s1600-h/addonsInstaller.png

btw. are there somewhere sources of Gimp registry site, or ERD of it's
database? It would be nice to create REST API - then anybody could create
client for those extensions, or even it's own rpository.

Are you volunteering? :)

Alex