[Gimp-user] 3' x 6' Sign - Word to GIMP

Back again...just looked at the CMYK version in both the Firefox pdf
and Adobe Reader viewers.

The image shows all the design elements in the Firefox viewer, but
loses one of the gold accent symbols and the accent line in the Adobe
viewer.

Is it just my computer, or do you get the same view?

(two versions attached).

First the missing embellishment in Adobe reader. I use a linux operating system
and do not use Adobe reader so that pdf displays ok here. The CMYK pdf came
straight from your RGB pdf via an application called ghostscript so maybe some
unexpected effect was incorporated.

For example, the attachment shows your RGB pdf opened in a vector application
Inkscape. There are no vectors but it is a collection of individual objects,
such as the embellishment. I duplicated it as an example. It does have other
characteristics such as a clipping mask which might come into effect depending
on PDF viewer.

A note on your PDF. The 'natural' size for that is 6" x 3" not 6' x 3' probably
originating from your Word document.

Bottom line is, until you get definite information from your printing company
you are in limbo.

Ask them:

What image formats are acceptable, jpeg, tiff, png, or even PDF?

What ppi(dpi) is required? Remember Gimp is a raster editor so 6'x3' @ 100 ppi =
7200x3600 pix while 6'x3' @ 150 ppi = 10800x5400 pix and so on.

What color mode is required RGB or CMYK?

If they take RGB images then that png from earlier post is probably ok.

If CMYK, then what color profile "something.icc" to use. Gimp uses RGB so for
CMYK an ancient Gimp plugin is needed and you do not want to go there. Get some
other application that will perform the conversion.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/448/original/scroll.jpg

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)