[Gimp-user] changing the brush sizes

I have a comprehensive (for me) solution to the Brush Size (and
Hardness) Question.

First, note that there are two major classes of GIMP brush:  GBR brush
files are bitmaps, fixed in size and hardness.  VBR brush files are
vectors, with variable size and hardness that can be changed "on the
fly" with keyboard + mouse commands while using the brushes.

Here's a set of VBR brushes I made; they cover over 90% of my own uses
for brush tools in the GIMP; I named them to assure that they appear
at
the top of the list in the Brushes dialog:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/Variable-Brushes.zip

Drop them into your /brushes folder, and viola.

Preview:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/brushes.png

The oval ones are good for getting into tight spaces.

Now about that "change size and hardness on the fly" part:

Go to Edit > Preferences > Input Controllers and double click on Main
Mouse Wheel to bring up the configuration dialog. Picture worth
thousand
words (or at least a hundred or so):

http://pilobilus.net/img/mouse-scale-brush.jpg

I also configure the GIMP to make the current brush "softer" or
"harder"
- that is, more or less fuzzy around the edge - in response to holding
down Ctrl + Shift + Alt and scrolling the mouse wheel up and down.
Controlling brush size and hardness with the mouse wheel is way more
efficient than constantly switching between brushes. These settings
can
be found in the same menu as above.

These brushes and settings save enough stress and hassle in one
editing
project to way more than justify the time and effort it takes to
configure them.  Then you have them "forever" or at least as long as
your present GIMP installation is in place.

:o)
Thank you all for the thread, solved my problem, special thanks to Steve Kinney
for pointing out I need to use vector brushes if I want to change hardness, and
for supplying the brushes!
My problem was I was trying to change the hardness of a non vector brush.

--
lost-in-space (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)