[Gimp-user] 3' x 6' Sign - Word to GIMP

Hi, Rich,

Thank you for your help.

Per your recommendation, we will follow up with the printer to find out their
requirements.  I know that they can only use CMYK images, but as for the other
information, I will have to ask.  Thanks again for your help! - G.

First the missing embellishment in Adobe reader. I use a linux
operating system and do not use Adobe reader so that pdf displays ok
here. The CMYK pdf came straight from your RGB pdf via an application
called ghostscript so maybe some unexpected effect was incorporated.

For example, the attachment shows your RGB pdf opened in a vector
application Inkscape. There are no vectors but it is a collection of
individual objects, such as the embellishment. I duplicated it as an
example. It does have other characteristics such as a clipping mask
which might come into effect depending on PDF viewer.

A note on your PDF. The 'natural' size for that is 6" x 3" not 6' x 3'
probably originating from your Word document.

Bottom line is, until you get definite information from your printing
company you are in limbo.

Ask them:

What image formats are acceptable, jpeg, tiff, png, or even PDF?

What ppi(dpi) is required? Remember Gimp is a raster editor so 6'x3' @
100 ppi = 7200x3600 pix while 6'x3' @ 150 ppi = 10800x5400 pix and so
on.

What color mode is required RGB or CMYK?

If they take RGB images then that png from earlier post is probably
ok.

If CMYK, then what color profile "something.icc" to use. Gimp uses RGB
so for CMYK an ancient Gimp plugin is needed and you do not want to go
there. Get some other application that will perform the conversion.

--
geronimo1111 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)