[Gimp-user] exchange color range to change tint

I'd like to create colorful crystal ball images identical to these,
but using different colors:
http://www.psdgraphics.com/graphics/colorful-3d-crystal-balls/
(also got one attached here)

I spent a few hours wrestling with Colors > Map > Color Exchange, but
not having any luck.  I've tried sampling a number of different
locations as the "from color", and many different values in the "to
color".  Then with "lock threshold" checked I drag the thresholds up
until everything in the image is selected to exchange.  The results
are consistently pretty ugly, not the nice even gradients in the
source files with plausible shades, reflections, etc..  They look
white-ed out, splotchy, ...a little hard to describe.

Any suggestions on how I might better manage a smooth exchange to new
color neighborhoods?

You could try:

Desaturate the original image (using luminosity)

Add a coloured layer on top

Change the layer mode to overlay

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments: