[Gimp-user] exchange color range to change tint

I'd like to create colorful crystal ball images identical to these, but using
different colors:
http://www.psdgraphics.com/graphics/colorful-3d-crystal-balls/
(also got one attached here)

I spent a few hours wrestling with Colors > Map > Color Exchange, but not having
any luck.  I've tried sampling a number of different locations as the "from
color", and many different values in the "to color".  Then with "lock threshold"
checked I drag the thresholds up until everything in the image is selected to
exchange.  The results are consistently pretty ugly, not the nice even gradients
in the source files with plausible shades, reflections, etc..  They look
white-ed out, splotchy, ...a little hard to describe.

Any suggestions on how I might better manage a smooth exchange to new color
neighborhoods?

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/767/original/blue.png

--