Re: [Gimp-user] How do you ddd effects to text?

On 08/01/2017 04:35 AM, ead wrote:
You are still going to have to make a selection somehow and fill that
selection. many ways of doing that, I usually go for Layer ->
Transparency -> Alpha to Selection on the text layer then apply any
colouring on separate layers, keeping the text layer as text.

Thank you, using The Alpha to Selection option helped me get smooth looking,
gradient-applied text.

I usually make a duplicate of my text layer, and in the Layers dialog do
"Discard text information."  This leaves a bitmap layer; lock the alpha
channel of the layer and proceed to do Horrible Things to to the text
with gradients or etc.

To outline text, the well hidden "Text to path" command is available by
right clicking the text with the text editor active and a menu with that
item will appear.  Then I add a new transparent layer, and in the Paths
dialog dock, select and stroke the path.  I usually put this layer under
the text layer, as otherwise the visible stroke extends both inside and
outside the visible text, which often makes the text look distorted.

:o)