[Gimp-user] How do you ddd effects to text?

Hello everyone

I'm having to use Gimp for Mac at work and not sure how to directly
add effects such as gradient to text objects in GIMP.

The only workaround I found is to select certain text using Select by
Color and apply gradient to it. I have a feeling someone out there may
know more efficient ways to achieve the same gradient effect.

Please advise me if you know how.

Gimp is a bitmap (raster) editor and unlike other applications that have
(partial) vector facility does not have 'objects'

You are still going to have to make a selection somehow and fill that selection.
many ways of doing that, I usually go for Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to
Selection on the text layer then apply any colouring on separate layers, keeping
the text layer as text.

You can use other vector applications such as Inkscape to create text, and open
the resulting svg in Gimp. It is still converted to a bitmap in Gimp but the
import progress allows you to scale to any size without loss of quality.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/638/original/select.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/639/original/no-objects.jpg

--