Re: [Gimp-user] Color mismatch between display and printer

James Moe wrote:
On 09/27/2016 02:38 PM, gimp-users mbourne spamgourmet com wrote:
Your printer probably has a feature to print a test page, usually
accessed from the printer properties, which will print some patterns in
various colours to check for blockages.

   Yes, it does. And I have. The test patterns look normal and are
complete. Initially the patterns had missing segments; after a number of
cleaning cycles they finally became complete.

That sounds like any blockage is probably cleared now.

One other thing I often do when
having problems with colours is to create a page of text in LibreOffice
consisting of the following in a large bold font:
    RED
    YELLOW
    GREEN
    CYAN
    BLUE
    MAGENTA
    BLACK
Each word formatted in the corresponding colour. Print that and see how
it comes out. I suspect the magenta will come out faint if at all, and
the red and blue will be off-colour (the red appearing more towards
yellow and the green more towards blue).

   I have created such a test document, cool idea. All of the colors
print normally AFAICT; the magenta *may* be a bit light, I have no way
to be certain. All of the colors are solid, and look like the color they
claim to be. The test document was created in Libreoffice.
   I imported one of the images from Gimp and printed it. The result was
the same: an off-color green tint. This implies the problem is the
printer, not Gimp or Libreoffice.

I wonder if something is slightly off, but not enough to notice with the solid blocks of pure colours. Maybe the magenta is coming out slightly light, which may be either a hardware or software problem...

While there a few processing steps
between an app and the printer, I would expect them to treat the output
data as sacred.

Not necessarily. That's where the colour profiles others have mentioned come in, transforming the colours sent by the application with the intention that they print correctly on a particular printer - but if set incorrectly they'll produce incorrect output.

Apart from specifying a colour profile, there may be other settings in the printer preferences which might affect the colours. For example, my Epson printer allows me to specify:
- Quality: Draft, Text, Text & Image, Photo, Best Photo
- Paper Type: Plain, Matte, Gloss, Photo, etc.
- On an "Advanced" tab, there's a colour mode settings button to adjust brightness, contrast, etc. and even nudge the colours in a certain direction - which can give everything a green (or any other colour) tint.

It may be worth going through the printer preferences checking each tab of options and/or resetting to defaults, in case they've been accidentally changed.

   Do the apps reference some common system values for deciding the
output color balance?

On Windows, the initial settings in the printer preferences usually come from those set in Windows' Control Panel. Anything set incorrectly there will affect most applications. If you find something wring in the printer preferences, you should be able to correct it permanently by finding something like "Printers" (exact name varies for each version of Windows) in Control Panel, then right-click your printer and select "Printing Preferences..." from the menu.

--
Mark.