[Gimp-user] Driving me crazy!!!

You are right. Changing the part you want changes the parts you DON'T
want
to change. That's why we try to get the light right when the shot is
being
taken. Some people even use the little flash on their camera to "fill
in"
the shadows when photographing people outdoors in strong light.

Try playing around with the "Dodge and Burn" tool in GIMP. Dodge means
hold back the light i.e make and area brighter. You would use this in
the
shadow areas of the people. Burn means to increase the light or make
an area
darker.

Feather your brush and start slowly, exposure at about 10%. Ctrl+Z
will
cancel the effect and you can start over. Practice on something that
you
don't want to keep.

Rick S.

I've been using the burn tool, it works to remove part of the shadow on their
faces but they always end up looking deformed lol