[Gimp-user] Need help using layers

I'm new to gimp and trying to figure out how to use it in order to
create textures for a car in a game. The game has already provided a
basic template (See attached image), but it's just one flat picture
with no layers, and I need to be able to edit the areas of the car
separately so I can add something to the hood or the door without the
image, drawing or text spilling over on to other areas of the car.
Essentially what I want, is to have one layer for each piece of the
car, so I can add an image to the front door that doesn't spill over
on to the back door or front fender. I already tried to select the
area I wanted for one piece and then add it to layers, but that
doesn't work as it just pastes another picture of that same area on
top of the original template. Someone please give me a hand. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Paste it and then hit the new layer button while the pasted part is still
selected instead of clicking with the little anchor to pin it to the current
layer.
It will paste as a new layer instead.

--
KesonaFyren (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)