[Gimp-user] Need help using layers

I'm new to gimp and trying to figure out how to use it in order to create
textures for a car in a game. The game has already provided a basic template
(See attached image), but it's just one flat picture with no layers, and I need
to be able to edit the areas of the car separately so I can add something to the
hood or the door without the image, drawing or text spilling over on to other
areas of the car. Essentially what I want, is to have one layer for each piece
of the car, so I can add an image to the front door that doesn't spill over on
to the back door or front fender. I already tried to select the area I wanted
for one piece and then add it to layers, but that doesn't work as it just pastes
another picture of that same area on top of the original template. Someone
please give me a hand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/316/original/template.png

--
ShadowWarrior (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)