[Gimp-user] Mosaic

I want to make a mosaic.  I need to perform the following tasks.

1) Open several images

2) Rescale images

3) Create a blank image (which I will call the mosaic)

4) Copy rescaled images into image created in step 3.

5) Reposition images pasted images within the mosaic.

I find it very frustrating that I can't get GIMP to do such a simple task. I have successfully completed steps 1, 2, 3. I cannot do step 5.

When I paste the rescaled image into the new image, it appears as a new layer placed in the center of the mosaic. The obvious thing to do to move the image would be to lift click on it and drag it to the desired position. This fails. Whenever I left click in an image window, the text tool opens in the window, and I can't get rid of it. Three questions

1) How do I get rid of the text tool?

2) What can I do so that the text tool doesn't open when I left click in an image window?

3) How do I move the layers to where I want them to be?

Thanks.

Alan