[Gimp-user] Help

Hi,
I've just downloaded the latest Gimp for the first time. However, I'm very
frustrated. All I get when I open Gimp is a big empty box, no tools of any sort.
It looks nothing like the screen shots in the manual! Along the top of the box
are the menus but that's all. When I open a photograph in it, it appears as a
small thumbnail that I'm unable to do anything with. Also, by default, when
looking for images, it is set to recognise "All Files" but it doesn't do so, I
have to select a different file then choose all files again to see the images.
Hope you can help, I'm becoming extremely frustrated!
Many thanks.

--
Liparis (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)