Re: [Gimp-user] Getting a 32 bit install on a 64 bit system

Erik Lavender <lavenderekjc <at> gmail.com> writes:

Basically I need to be able to setup a 32 bit install onto a thumb drive
so
I can use it on a computer with 32 bit windows (I don't have admin
rights).  So I need to get this installed from my 64 bit windows computer
on which I do have admin rights.

Any ideas?

The correct way to go, for Gimp on a thumb drive, is use the portable
version - look for portableapps.com  You can use this on a regular machine
as well.

Installing a regular Gimp to a thumb drive will leave a trail of a Gimp
profiles across the machines it runs on.

The regular installer contains both 32 and 64 bit versions. To install a 32
bit Gimp in a 64 bit Windows OS append the switch -32 to the end of the
installer.

ie. gimp-2.8.14-setup-1.exe -32

One peculiarity, Gimp is not installed to the 'Program Files (X86)' but to
the 64 bit 'Program Files' unless you make an effort and use the customise
option, bottom left of the Gimp setup dialog.

So in your case, point it at the thumbdrive and install there. Gimp is
naturally portable, copy the whole '\GIMP 2' folder tree, to the 32 bit
machine, make your own shortcut. No admin privilege might be a problem.