[Gimp-user] Translation of Gimp

Hi,

I started using Gimp some time ago and first thing I noticed is that the
translation to Portuguese-Pt, besides not being complete, is outdated.
So I've been poking around to try and figure out how to do it.

I attached an image with some .po files. Can someone tell me if these
are indeed the files to translate?
If not, where do I find the correct ones?

Furthermore, where should I place the translated files, under Ubuntu?

And, last but not least, how can I make that translation available for
next versions?

Thank you for any help possible.

Regards,
Pedro.