Re: [Gimp-user] Nikon .nef Images

While not disagreeing, yes the UFRaw plugin will convert .NEF images & that is what I use.

It works in two ways, either I run UFRaw, open the file and when I have chosen colour balance, exposure
correction etc. it opens Gimp; or I open the file in GIMP, which opens UFRaw first & I then proceed much as
before.

In an ideal world we would have a Gimp that processed the deeper bit depth RAW images.  Without that both
UFRaw and using other programs to do the conversion have the disadvantage of making the whole a two step
process.

From my limited experience, I have not seen any great advantage in using programs other than the UFRaw
plugin.  Because I tend to use different computers at different times, I prefer just being able to install
and update Gimp with UFRaw,  rather than having to look after more programs.

What I would suggest though is that if you do choose to use another program, you convert the image to a
suitable lossless format that Gimp will open, rather than accepting multiple Jpeg encode/decode.

Just my two pence worth, you understand