Re: [Gimp-user] Luminosity confusion

On Tuesday 01 December 2015 02:23:07 Jack Denman wrote:

On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 01:49 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 01 December 2015 00:27:57 Jack Denman wrote:
I am still learning about digital photography. I developed my
first roll of film in 1946, by hand in my grandmothers bathroom.

Since I am learning masking techniques, I wonder if someone could
explain the contradiction of these two scripts.

This web page has a download link of a script from "Download from:
Google Drive" at produces a file called
"patdavid-luminosity-masks-2.scm"

http://blog.patdavid.net/2013/11/getting-around-in-gimp-luminosity
-mas ks.html

This file cannot be used because when copied into
.gimp-2.8/scripts/ the script entry is not visible on the
pull-down menus of gimp.

Did you set the execute permissions, and do you have the first
lines "she-bang" interpreter installed?

Thats slang for the #!/bin/bash or #!/bin/python, #!/path/to/whatever
as the first line of the file.  Its the interpreter that the script is
intended to be executed by.

I must confess I am not familiar with the requirements of a ".scm' file,
so my advice is to be seasoned as needed. :)

Yes the execute bit is set. I do not know what you mean by the
"she-bang" interpreter. Can you explain what that is?

On the other hand the older script called "Luminosity_masks.scm"
does work from some older web pages and does cause the scripts
pull-down menu to appear. When the channels menu is invoked from
this script the other masks disappear.

Compare the first line on the file that works, with the first line of the
one that does not. I believe its case sensitive.  If you post both lines
as a straight copy/paste, perhaps someone with better knowledge that I
can illuminate the problem.

I do not know what you mean by "other masks disappear".

Can someone explain this? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Gene Heskett