Re: [Gimp-user] gimp users matter

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 22:17:53 -0500
From: etters h gmail com
To: mdmpsyd gmail com
CC: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] gimp users matter

Why aren't you scaling it before you export it?
That would be way too scary!!  The easiest way (for me) to lose a lot of
work on a
.xcf file would be to scale it and then accidentally save.  The old (2.6
method I described)
protected me from an accident such as that.

Yeah, I agree; although the initial PNG export is technically redundant (since you're about to resize &
export over the same filename anyway) with 2.6's save model this DID have the advantage of preventing you
from accidentally overwriting your XCF file with the wrong image resolution during any intermediate steps.
Whereas with 2.8's Save/Export model you do not have that protection whatsoever, because the Save command
always targets the XCF file (i.e. is unaffected by any exports).  Literally every moment between the initial
image resize and the final close/quit carries the possibility you might accidentally save the wrong
resolution to your XCF file.  It's especially dangerous if this happens during the prompt when you close the
image because in this case you won't have an Undo history to come back later and revert back to the correct
resolution with.

So for now, about the safest thing to do is just duplicate the image into a new window/tab (which isn't
linked to the XCF file) before you make any potentially destructive edits you do NOT want included in your
XCF.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com