Re: [Gimp-user] gimp users matter

Can I offer my interpretation of this communication breakdown? Apologies to Liam for previously not "replying to list." Helen opens myfile.jpg with gimp. She saves myfile.jpg and it becomes myfile.xcf. She can't see myfile.jpg any more to see what it looks like. She exports myfile.xcf to myfile.jpg and that's fine, the jpg is saved but it is not displayed. If the xcf had been saved, she is looking at the xcf. If the xcf had not been saved and she exported myfile.jpg to a jpg file, she is now looking at "untitled.xcf." She can not see the jpg. I thought this was phrase was self evident but: "myfile.jpg" is no longer present in the title bar of the the window containing the image that used to be "myfile.jpg." It is my understanding that she wants to see what "myfile.jpg" looks like. That is the file that she will be using in her work, not "untitled.xcf" and she wants to be sure it looks like she wants it to look. Liam's e-mail response was: "

Why not? Why can't she see it? Where is she looking? And why did it go
away?"

She can't see it because the file name is no longer in the title bar of the window. She is apparently looking in the title bar of the image window--that off color strip that displays the file name of the image in the window. Why did it go away? As in, "why did it change from 'myfile.jpg' to 'untitled.xcf?'" That's the $10,000,000 dollar question. NB I have no problems with the current save/export features of gimp. I am not jumping into any flame wars but at the same time maybe someone could take the filters of that flame war off and take a second look at Helen's question. If I can understand it, I'm sure others can.

Helen, open up an instance of windows explorer, put it in icon mode (extra large) and browse to where you saved your file--there's your jpg. If all you want to do is see it, click on it and it will open in your default image viewer. If you want to edit it, keep working on the file that is open in gimp (there's no need to open the exported file and it's probably better not to because exported files do not contain all of gimp's layers and effects).