Re: [Gimp-user] gimp users matter

Appears you've accidentally hijacked a dispute thread - - -

On 01/04/2014 12:31 PM, Elle Stone wrote:
On 01/04/2014 03:09 PM, Phil wrote:

I have some pictures taken on an Sony DSC-W510 digital camera, and they
are/have become corrupted? the thumbnail shows up, in windows(win7) &
osx(10.6), debian 7.2 must be different as it shows the corruption up in
thumbnail preview, but when viewing the full picture, it only shows up a
corrupted view and this seems to be about 5 to 10 percent of the image
coming down.

That's not a good sign! Is it possible that the camera card to which the files were saved has some issues?

Or perhaps the files were corrupted during the save process even though the camera card is good? I've had this happen once or twice, but not to a whole bunch of images.

While you are at the command line, try converting the image to another file format: "convert image.jpg image.png" If that doesn't produce a readable image, probably the image really is corrupted.

Often the embedded thumb(s) is/are quite large and better than nothing. If the whole file can't be retrieved, if you want I can dig up the exiftool command for extracting the thumb.

Elle