[Gimp-user] recording changes

I'm frustrated by large storage requirements for xcf files resulting from
processing many jpg image files.  The processing is typically pretty simple,
crop, curves, with no touch up.  I don't mind the xcf size for images which
required a lot of detail work, but it's crazy for the majority of them.
Things which a raw processor encodes in a few KB turn into 60 MB; an 8x
factor over the original file size.

Are there any plugins, or is any work being done / planned, on some means to
save (even a selected set of) operations so the result can be reconstructed
from the original?  It would save me many GB of space.

Gary