[Gimp-user] Gimp not working with Tablet

Recently got a new computer, and one of the first things I did was to upload the latest GIMP. My Wacom Bamboo
Pen tablet doesn't work completely with it. EVERYTHING worked perfectly on my old computer (Windows 7, Gimp
2.6, same tablet). I currently have Windows 8, Gimp 2.8, same tablet. After removing 2.8 at one point, I
tried 2.6 again...hoping it would work then...nope. I've also downloaded the most recent tablet driver from
Wacom...still nothing. What happens is that the program opens and I'm able to actually move the pen around
the tablet and have the mouse and clicking options. I'm able to "paint". BUT...I'm not able to change
pressure settings, which is highly important for what I need. I've gone through the all of the forums I could
find on this. Most say to go through Edit; Preferences; Input Devices, and make sure that the tablet is
selected. It doesn't even show up there.
I'm just about at my wit's end now....and I NEED to get some commissions done.
-Monica