Re: [Gimp-user] Dark Theme for GIMP?

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM, Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com>wrote:

Hi,

on various websites, you can see screenshots of GIMP with dark themes.
Also I remember during LGM, it was said that GIMP at some point
(2.10?) would be released with a dark theme as a default.

GIMP 3.0 when GIMP moves to GTK3. GTK3 comes with default both dark and
bright themes. The GTK3 branch might be good a place to look..

Second question: the logics behind dark themes is apparently that they
would be less a disturbance than a bright theme when you are working,
if I remember LGM speech. Is that it? Is it better for the eyes too? I
always thought that black on white was basically better for the eyes.
Are there any actual studies explaining that dark UI are better for
users, which would explain our switch to a darker default theme? Or is
it all based on a feeling that dark themes are better?

A dark theme will sink further into the background, allowing the canvas and
image to take a more prominent position. For GTK3 (and GNOME 3 apps) the
choice of which theme will be appropriate is whether it is application
focusing primarily on consuming or authoring visual content (image browser,
editor, video player..) or not.

For visual content centric applications color appearance is important, by
making the context of the work be subdued and dark - negative impact of
simultaneous contrast in the human visual system will be reduced.

For text, the more paper like black on white might be preferable - though
this would also depend on display technologies.. and viewing context.

/Ø
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/