[Gimp-user] I don't understand it?

Okay I have been using Gimp for like 4 years now but I do simple type photo art.
I use the lasso to remove the image and then past it onto my background. I
usually have to use the clone a lot to blend the image.
My question is can you open two pictures at once? Not as a layer but as a base
for cloning? Say I want to take a mans face and create cracks in it from like
rocks, I don't want to past him onto a rock textue, clone then cut it again to
past it onto my origional background. I don't know how to use transparence so I
never use that one. Can this be done? How? I really want to learn this stuff but
I have been self tought from the get go!

I attached a picture of the type of work I do. Please help if you can.
use simple terms bacause I don't understand how all of the tools work.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/41/original/ladies_of_the_sea.jpg

--
TheEquineArtist (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)