Re: [Gimp-user] A Sad case of regression

On 06/15/2013 01:53 PM, Grue wrote:
Wow, just wow. Here are the facts: every time you "save" your image as JPEG, you lose information. It is by design a lossy image format that uses an algorithm to conserve your disk space via throwing away some "insignificant" information (which works well for photos, but ruins many other types of images). Worse yet, if you edit a JPEG image and resave it, you lose even more information. This results in very noticeable artifacts in the image. And GIMP actually tries to prevent you from this destructive workflow, yet you keep doing it anyway, and you're complaining about GIMP instead of your own ineptitude. Please, if you work with images, learn about image formats and how they work. The eyes of people who look at your images will thank you later.

Well? It seems for all the reasons this Save As... behavior has been established, it's not working. Culture and expectations will out.

Personally, I have gotten used to the change. It's still a bit of a "tick" with me but it reminds me the difference between a work file and a published output file... I remember it each and every time I edit an image. However... I don't feel any more professional than I did before. My workflow? Not quite as flowing as it is in other software which uses a consistent behavior. Inkscape, another program I use for image editing and creation, allows me to "Save as..." any supported image format just fine which is interesting because of the two programs, Inkscape would actually make more sense to have exhibit this behavior. And when I close the program afterward, I am prompted with:

''The file "drawing.png" was saved with a format (org.inkscape.output.svg.inkscape) that may cause data loss! Do you want to save this file as Inkscape SVG? [Close without saving] [Cancel] [Save as SVG]''

(This sort of reminds me of "Smoking causes cancer" labels.)

The reason I say the GiMP behavior is more suited to Inkscape is that when using a program like Inkscape, a user is using a variety of primitive tools to compose an image which requires many, many steps and manipulations. But also, Inkscape has export functions such as "save as copy" and "export bitmap." It allows me to do what I want to do, but then reminds me I might be making a big mistake if close the program without saving in the native format.

This approach, Inkscape's that is, actually comes closer to accomplishing the purpose described by GiMP's developers without enraging the the user.

Apologies all around... I realize this is a wasted effort... I've seen this conversation go on multiple times and I've even started and participated in one myself. But when I see an example of people doing what they want to do regardless of warnings and speed-bumps and preventative measures, it just goes to show you can't beat stupid and you can't force smart. A simple warning that "you may be screwing something up" is probably the best approach.