[Gimp-user] Off-canvas editing

Hello everybody,

I don't now if this is just a stupid question or if this is a software limitation or if there is even a setting for it I haven't found yet but why are we not able to edit layers outside the canvas?

I often create images were the canvas size is fixed (e.g. display resolution). I then add layers to it that are often larger than the canvas. I would now want to select the superfluous parts of the just added images (e.g. to make them transparent), but I can't select parts of the layers that are not on canvas!

I also can not see any layer content that is off-canvas. A workflow I'd prefer would be copy everything somewhere (not necessarily inside the canvas) and then align it layer by layer, which is hard when one can not see the content of the off-canvas layers.

I hope my question is clear and am looking for your answers!

Regards,
Eduard