Re: [Gimp-user] SOLVED: export vs. save menu in gimp2.8 - simple and lasting solution

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:55:16AM +0200, Dirk wrote:
On 07/29/13 00:29, Bob Long wrote:
Paul Cartwright wrote,

On 07/28/2013 02:58 PM, Kasim Ahmic wrote:
Anyway, if the save vs. export thing causes such a problem, then people could just install a plugin that
removes the new functionality and restores the old one. That way, your workflow isn't affected and you
get all the new features of 2.8.

go ahead, make my day, tell me how to add that functionality back..

As posted several times on this list:

http://www.shallowsky.com/software/gimp-save/

Personally, I've never used it.

I did. It added /another/ menu point called "Save-export" or so and
acts like "Save" used to do, after the image was exported once.

Needless to say I /still/ clicked on "Save as..." or "Save".

So it really did nothing for me except making the menu a little more
confusing.

The whole situation boils down to the lack of character that is
necessary for admitting a mistake and reversing this change in the
workflow.

It's a mistake only in the eyes of a vocal few, who never have used GIMP
in a professional work-flow. It's not a huge change, so either adapt,
change to a simpler editor, or get used to it. Staying with one version
forever pretty much indicates that you're not using for complicated
editing. So, GIMP probably isn't for you.

You posted this on the Debian-user list too I see.

--
Cheers,
Stephen, Toronto