Re: [Gimp-user] layers, new problem with old methods

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Michael Schumacher <schumaml gmx de> wrote:
> Von: Richard Gitschlag <strata_ranger hotmail com>

> Sometimes I really miss the fact that GIMP has no "paste in place" command
> like Inkscape does.  Feature request?

You should add a description of how this works in Inkscape, and how you expect this to be handled in GIMP - e.g. what is the "place" if you paste to an image of totally different size, at a different zoom level, ...

Some old discussion on this:
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-developer/12672-gimp-ux-paste#message58351

I created a "paste into selection script" (scales the copied image to fit the current selection using default interpolation mode):
http://pastebin.com/fKUxE8Ag

More useful (imoo), I also created a "paste as new layer centered" script which pastes the clipboard content as a new layer centered on the current selection , the current layer (if no selection), or the canvas if no active layer.

Either of these could just be keymapped to Ctrl+v.  (The built in "Paste as New Layer" could be bound to ctrl+v as well, but I didn't like that it creates the new layer at 0,0 hence the script).

-Rob A.