Re: [Gimp-user] Suggestions for the GIMP

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM, maderios wrote:

file => open recent   =>
open document.sla
save document .sla
save as document-2.sla
export document.sla =>
save as image, pdf, etc....
With scribus you can only work with .sla

And that proves your point exactly how? :)

It just shows that scribus menus respect the "standard" : easy to use and
not complicated and confused like in Gimp.

It's rather difficult to respect something that doesn't exist.

Unlike scribus, you can edit all kinds of picture files with Gimp.

So now all of a sudden Scribus and GIMP aren't really alike? :) I can
hear your logic cracking from miles and miles away :)

Let's see:

"- Krita: I open any file. I can choose "save" or "save as" without
any complicated menu or any distinction about "native" file. This is
the standard.
- Scribus-1.4 : the same
- Ardour : the same"

Those were your words, verbatim.

Now, I want you to do the following thing.

I want you to start Scribus, open a PDF file via File/Open, edit it
and save back via File/Save.

I want you to start Ardour, open a WAV or MIDI file via File/Open
(except it's Open Session, but hey), edit it and save back via
File/Save (again, Save Session, but that shouldn't stop you).

I want you to start Kdenlive, open an MP4 or AVI file via File/Open,
edit it and save via File/Save.

That will be your proof that these applications do not make
distinction between native and non-native file formats.

When you will be capable of doing that (which is never), we will talk
about standards. Until then please let's not have this kindergarden.

Wrong. Ardour is built around the concept of sessions. It can mix
audio and MIDI files, but it doesn't open them to edit and save back.

You can "save" or "save as" session  without any complication

Oh dear. Oh deary, deary me. You never actually used Ardour, did you?
You just opened it for the first time in your life and didn't go
beyond the File menu. That explains a lot.

you can "save as" under an other name, it's very important

My dear maderios, "Save As" saves a _snapshot_. Ardour doesn't even
provide the typical saving dialog where you can choose a new file
name, It just asks for a new snapshot name. Anybody who used Ardour
more than 5 minutes knows that. Anybody who used Ardour more than 5
minutes understands the difference between a session and a snapshot.
Insistence is a fine thing, but it's clearly misplaced in your case.
Could we please move to discussing something interesting that actually
exists?

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org