[Gimp-user] How to design new GIMP themes from scratch

Hi ID_Graphics,

as a start you could look around in GIMPs themes folder [1].
Most of the work is editing a GTK theme configuration file, the gtkrc.
This is a text file. You'll need to read and understand it, but it's
no rocket science. There's also a GMOME tutorial on theming [2] and
lots of other themes in the web you can learn from, for instance on
the
GNOME art site [3].

The icons are in GIMPs 'themes/Default/images' folder. It's also worth
knowing that the GNOME Design team worked on a suitable icon set [4].
To join your forces you should contact the GNOME visual design lead
Jakub Steiner (jimmac) [5] or our user interaction architect Peter
Sikking. You find at least jimmac on IRC in #gimp or #gnome-design.

Preparing your theme for deployment is - putting your files all
together in a folder like the already existing themes.
IMHO GIMP shipped with a modern, good-looking and unobtrusive dark
theme would be a nice thing, so your contribution is welcome
I think the gimp-developer mailing list would be a good place for
ongoing discussions on that.

Kind regards,

Sven

[1] http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/themes
[2] https://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkThemes
[3] http://art.gnome.org/themes
[4] http://worldofgnome.org/creating-gnome-symbolic-icons-with-jimmac/
[5] https://live.gnome.org/Design

Hi there Sven,

Thanks a thousand for taking the time to put together such an elaborate reply,
as well as offering those links. None of them look familiar to me, so they'll at
least get me that step further. I greatly appreciate it dude!

It's getting late in the evening now, but I'll surely look into what you have
given me tomorrow or the day after. There's obviously a couple of things I need
to figure out and as you said, it might be good to contact those people.
I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get my head around the tech part, but I'm
pretty sure I'd be able to find someone who would be kind enough to compile the
image files for me into a theme file.

I was indeed thinking about a dark theme by the way, something non-intrusive
that, doesn't distract from the canvas and is easy on the eyes, especially for
those sitting behind their screen all day long (like your truly). there are
already a couple of awesome themes out there (I use 'Tactile' myself, no idea
who designed it but great job on that!), but I'm eager to add to the collection
with my own design.

Thanks again for the help given guys, I'll get busy and I hope you guys won't
mind if I post some other questions, would I run into them.

Peace.

--
ID_Graphics (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)