[Gimp-user] How to design new GIMP themes from scratch

Hi guys,

I've been using GIMP for years now, even professionally for the last
year. There's one thing I still haven't ever done, and would love to
do: designing a new interface for GIMP from scratch. I'm just not sure
how to go about it.

I could of course take the images of another theme and edit them as I
see fit, and publish the final result as a new skin. But I don't want
to do that - I want to do a proper job and design one from scratch.

I have searched for a tutorial about this, but strangely enough,
haven't found any.

The graphical part is not an issue. It's the technical part I'm not
sure about, like for example:
- how do I make sure I get all the necessary image files? Is there an
encrypted theme file or something I have to unzip or whatever?
- are there any additional programs I need to use to do that?
- same for putting it together: Do I need to compile the images into a
theme file, and if so, what program do I need for that?

And also:
- are there any tutorials around about this that I might have missed
- is there a popular location where new GIMP theme are hosted and
shared?

There are obviously people who know how to do this, since there are
plenty of good themes around. I would really appreciate it if someone
could help me out with this.

Thanks in advance!

Afaik you'll have to really get into GTK2 theming because GIMP 2.8 is mostly
based on GTK2 to my knowledge - only some widgets are used from gtk3. However
themeing in gtk2 and gtk3 is taking place differently. In GTK3 it's mostly CSS
based while in gtk2 it's not.

I however cannot give you more information about the theming itself, the only
thing I tried was to theme the whole desktop environment (Ubuntu) and it also
affected GIMP of course. But it was too time-intense so I skipped that ;)

--
devvv (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)