Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp interface sucks

Richard (strata_ranger hotmail com) wrote:
Edit > Preferences > Input Controllers.  Picture worth thousand
words: http://pilobilus.net/img/mouse-scale-brush.jpg

That's indeed awesome, however, various OS's (like Windows) trap the
Alt key for menubar activation

Note that the preferences dialog in this screenshot allows you to assign
the tools-paint-brush-scale-increase action to a different controller
shortcut.

On which note, I am occasionally frustrated that pressing
the ALT key in a GTK2+ app does not activate the menubar like every
Windows user expects it to.

Hmm, for me (as a Linux user) pressing ALT underlines the
menu-navigation-shortcuts in the menu. Hitting the underlined keys then
enters the menu navigation mode and you can navigate the menu using the
cursor keys or the underlined letters.

This is a major suckage on the UI too (esp. if it's not
reconfigurable), because alt key sequences are just as strong a habit
as Ctrl+shortcut keys are.

I am not really familiar with the typical windows program, but is this
about the difference between (for creating a new image from the
clipboard)

<press alt> <release alt> f t c    (probably works in a windows program)

and

<press alt> f <release alt> t c    (works for me in linux gimp)

?

Bye,
        Simon
--