Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

[...] I just copy/paste and
scale as needed but I cannot work on anything else until I anchor it.

Actually you can also click New layer in the layers dalogue to turn the
floating selection into a layer, and then you can work on other things.

Very frustrating when I want to adjust something underneath to match it
while it is still a separate layer (and I would like to keep it a
separate layer, too).

You can indeed.

I used to have to go and click the New Layer button every time until I
discovered this handy shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+N
It makes your floating selection a new layer without having to move away
from the target area! (On a similar[?] note, Ctrl+Shift+D is useful for
duplicating a layer so you can have an unedited copy and then do something
crazy to the other copy.)