Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 11:07:34 +0300
From: liste secarica ro
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

În data de Fri, 09 Aug 2013 14:41:01 -0700, Tom Williams a scris:

What realy misses here is some "intelligent" way in determining the
oportunity of the "save the changes to image ?" dialog. This dialog (or
the lack of an option to getting rid of it) that pops up in obvious
useless situations is the annoying one, *not* the export thing.

I can agree with you here.

If:
- No changes have been made since the last export command, and:
- The current image has no XCF file associated with it

Then IMHO this is a scenario where suppressing the "Save changes?" prompt can be quite useful for the user,
because in this context the exported file IS what they want 'saved' to disk.  GIMP constantly asking the user
to "Save changes?" in a non-XCF workflow can make the user ignore it out of habit (i.e. crying wolf), which
is a dangerous behavior to have.

On a side note, I would love to see an option for rescaling the image at export time (like with Inkscape's
Export).  I have a 150dpi scanned drawing with an XCF copy behind it, but when I want to export a
Web-resolution (60-90 dpi) JPG of it, manually rescaling the image means I run the risk of 'ruining' my
high-resolution workfile because it counts as a change to the image.  (This actually happened just the other
day, fortunately I wasn't closing GIMP at the time so I could merely Undo the changes and then save it at the
proper resolution.)

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com