Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

On 08/09/2013 01:30 PM, pbft wrote:
This thread is like a wound that won't heal - I keep picking the scab even
though I know I should just let it be.....

For me, it seems that there are well-established precedents for this type of
situation, and in general it would be better to follow precedent where
reasonable. It's generally better when tools behave the way you expect.

In the spreadsheet example above, it's absolutely true that if you open a csv,
add some fomulas, and save as a csv you will lose the formulas. Pretty good
analogy to the topic at hand.

The spreadsheets that I'm familiar with all do the same basic thing in this
situation:

1: They default to saving the file in the same format to the same file name as
you opened in the first place
2: They warn you that if you accept this default behavior, you may lose some
data

OO also gives you the option to have it remind you every time or not.

From my outsider perspective, that seems like a clean, simple, and logical
approach that would avoid unwanted data loss and conform more closely with the
de facto standard for this situation. Seems obvious to me, and it's baffling
that this has become such a shouting match. Didn't have to be that way.

I know what you mean as I'm picking at that same scab.  :)   lol

A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a similar behavior in MS Word
2010.  I had created a document that I wanted to save as a PDF file.  I
used the "Save As" function to do so.  The PDF file got saved and Adobe
Reader was opened to show me the PDF file was properly created.  Cool.
So, being happy with my new PDF file, I closed the Word window because I
was "done" with my task (mission accomplished!).  Low and behold, Word
informed me I had "unsaved changes" and offered me the chance to save
them.  At first, I was surprised since I had _just_ saved the document
to PDF format.  Then, the light bulb went off.

What I learned was this:  Word was prompting me to save the "unsaved
changes" because I had not, yet, saved my document in a file which Word
could readily open for edit such that I could resume my editing.  When I
saved another test document in OpenDocument format and closed the Word
window, Word did _not_ prompt me to save the "unsaved changes" because
Word considers "OpenDocument" files to be "editable" where the PDF file
isn't.

I liken the PDF file to a JPEG or PNG image.  Gimp will export the
current image to JPEG or PNG formats but once I do so, I will save the
image in a format that Gimp doesn't consider "editable".   If I open a
JPEG image in Gimp, at some text to it, and export it as a JPEG, I can't
change the text I added to _that_ image.  I either have to start over,
if I can, or find creative ways to edit that text.

Once I went through the above experience with MS Word, I got a better
understanding of the new export behavior and I actually like it better
now.   Now, my "habit" will be to simply save the file each time I edit
it and when I need a JPEG or PNG file, I'll export one at that time and
for that specific intended use.  If I can train myself in this way,
there won't be any more times when I've saved an image file I can no
longer update or edit in the future, provided the XCF file doesn't get
corrupt.  :)  lol

On a side note, I conducted another experiment, before my MS Word
experience, in MS Works. I created a document, used "Save As" to save it
as a Rich Text file and when I closed Works, it prompted me to save my
"unsaved changes".

Peace...

Tom

--