Re: [Gimp-user] batch mode in gimp?

On Sa, Aug 03, 2013 at 12:21:54 -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
Granted, it would be nice if GIMP included a more powerful Lisp (such as
ECL, Embeddable Common Lisp), but Script-Fu's Tinyscheme is surprisingly
fun to program in.

There have been discussions where people have said GIMP should use a
more complete Scheme implementation. Guile was mentioned in
particular in those discussions. SF has tried to stay small by using
a small Scheme interpreter. It let's you automate tasks in GIMP and
you can do some reasonably complex tasks. However, it does have its
limitations and there are times when a more full featured
programming language is useful. To that end, there other language
bindings available one can use.

Probably I mis-understand some important aspects. But for me it seems that
embedding a language into gimp is doomed to deliver suboptimal
functionality. IMHO, the better way would be to provide libraries that can
be used by any language. That way one could combine the functionality offered
by the library with any other functionality that is offered by the language of
choice.

--
Josef Wolf
jw raven inka de