[Gimp-user] Blending 2 images into 1

My hobby, if it can be called that, is creating comic images of individuals by
combining two unrelated images into one.  EXAMPLE:  Placing the head of my
brother-in-law on the body of Quasimodo (the Hunchback of Notre Dame).

I'm totally new with GIMP and I've figured out a good bit, such as using the
magnetic lasso to copy-paste a selection from one image into another,  but I
can't figure out how to match skin tones and resolutions so the result appears
to be a single image.  At best, I can get close but not at all close enough.

Can somebody point me in the right direction, at least to identify the tools I
should be using?

I'm by no means a techie, so please be gentle with me :-)

Thanks!

--
pfaoro (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)