Re: [Gimp-user] Need help with translucent image

On 04/29/2013 02:58 AM, PieceKeepr wrote:
I'm trying to expand a translucent image and keep the coloration even
throughout.  The original image is flat on top and fades to a darker color near
the edge.  I've tried everything I know how to do (admittedly not much) with no
success.  I attached a portion of the image to make it easier to understand what
I'm dealing with.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/34/original/Help.png
Looks to me like this is a grayscale filter, and you are attempting to get constant transparency of pure gray.

If so, and the filter is itself a separate layer, then simply select by color the filter area and set the threshold at about 240 (be sure not to enable "select transparent areas"). This should select the entire filtered area, and leave the transparent section unselected.

Cut (ctrl-X) the selected area, leaving just the selection itself.

Then, bucket fill the selected area with black with the opacity that you desire (looks to me about 45).